Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Spider Webs and Space.. and Architecture?

There's this absolutely awesome spider web on the corners of my window frame in my room. It just amazes me how a spider could create something that's structural, but also functional. Withstands wind and rain to some degree and catches a meal.

Apparently there was an experiment on spiders spinning webs without gravity. Basically they failed to spin it correctly in space, so the researchers think that gravity may have something to do with it, or that the spiders just freaked out and weren't able to do their thing.


I'm just imagining.. building a house in space. How would we deal with it? How would it change our construction methods/materials now that gravity doesn't play a role. There isn't an up or down, nor is there air or dirt, rain or earthquakes. There are other things like radiation.. would we still need waterproofing?

Then again, maybe "buildings" in space are equivalent to spacecrafts! And that is not exactly my department of study. Building in "different" environments fascinates me.. but maybe this is slightly extreme!


No comments:

Post a Comment